Mystery? Yes… mystery.
In my time (all of 29 years) I have only spilled a little bit of my life story. No social media has been able to capture all of my secrets, imperfections, or my “geeky” side. Today I am going to feed you a different side of me… and you can take it however you like. Join me or judge me, but I will never change. Besides, I am already married with a wonderful family so who do I have to impress?
Over the time of my blog I have covered a lot about war, death, personal changes and the fight I give to make it through everyday. It starts to wear on me after a while with majority of it being able to be undone or affected in any way. With this being said, I feel like kicking my blog into a different perspective. One that shows my happy side and the things that keep me that way as well as help to combat my thoughts and turn down my anxiety attacks and PTSD. I have found that as long as I remain engaged in a surrounding that I enjoy, things seem to slow down and allow my mind to be free.
Hobbies can describe many different things due to a “hobby” being anything someone enjoys to do. Well, I have a hobby of hobbies…. kind of like an addiction. Don’t worry though, it is a good addiction and only catches a little bit of flak from my wife. That is why I love her so much. I will now describe each of my hobbies to you below in no particular order for your viewing and joke-making enjoyment.
1) RC Car Racing – Before you start falling out of your chair from laughing so hard… these are not the RC cars you grew up loving from Radio Shack. These are purebred racing machines that are very involved and technical. I’m talking full suspension, nitro engine powered or electric-powered insanity… both on and off-road. Tracks are spread throughout the US and internationally with events ranging from the Regionals, National Championships, and even World Championships… for 1/12th – 1/5th (many other scales available as well).
Companies in this industry are booming and the recognition of the racing is growing. Sponsors from supercross and full scale off-road racing are jumping into the industry as well to include Monster Energy, Rockstar and Metal Mulisha. Some of the top drivers are even making serious money for racing, testing and promoting RC cars. Talk about a dream job.
While there is the competitive realm of RC racing… it is also a great family hobby. The days at the track watching your kids or wife (or both in my case) taking on the biggest smiles and spending time together is enough to sell me. The people are friendly and helpful, with new friendships always growing. It has been a truly rewarding experience, and with there being no age limit.. I will be doing this for the rest of my life.
Please check out http://www.amainhobbies.com or shoot me a comment or email if you’d like to get involved.
2) Surfing – One of the most healing forms of therapy for the mind and soul. In a dark time where I could not get a hold of myself, my emotions, or find time to heal… I took up surfing and shaping. Being in Southern California was a blessing with all of my new friends I have met through surfing to include Casey Sershon of Identity Surfboards (http://www.facebook.com/identitysurf/), Ricky..Rusty.. and Cory Whitlock of Whitlock Industries (http://whitlockink.com/), and Bobby Diamonds (http://bobbydiamonds.blogspot.com/). Waking up every morning to the sound of the ocean and cool people was a big step in the right direction for me. Yet another thing I will do for the rest of my life.
3) Streetbike Stunts – Something I took up for the fun and challenge. I enjoyed riding the streets… but after many tickets and the birth of my little girl, I took a step back and decided to let this one go. I must say, it was fun… very expensive.. and got me into trouble in more ways than one. If you do have an interest in this, please keep it in the parking lots and stay within your limits. Nothing will ruin your day like watching some newbie try to impress his girl with a 100 mph power wheelie and eating it.
4) Motocross – One of my most enjoyed sports of all-time! I love the adrenaline, the speed, the dirt and the people. After sustaining injuries overseas… I was unable to continue racing, but would like to ride every once in a while. The bike is still around and will be receiving some love soon. The wife and I wanted to find a sport to enjoy together as well, so we picked motocross/supercross. It was great seeing her enjoying it just as much as I do as we attend the events in the Southwest. Needless to say that her favorite is Mr. Ryan Dungey himself.
5) Martial Arts – After being involved in martial arts since I was 4 years old I have lived in Japan for 6 months, fought in amateur and professional matches, taught many kids how to defend themselves and remain disciplined.. and have taken an utmost appreciation for the arts themselves. Nothing like being where it all started to really give you a true understanding. I am a black belt in a full-contact budo art as well as the US Master. One day I’d like to open up my own dojo to help guide kids and adults alike… and share the opportunities that were given to me.
Okay…. now that I have either bored you to death, or completely astonished you, let me list a few more of my hobbies that I am still learning but absolutely enjoy:
- Amateur Chocolatier
- RC Airplanes/Helicopters (I know… I like to tinker with stuff… haha)
- Amateur Chef
- Graphic/ Web Design
- Custom Motorcycle (building and designing)
- Personal Training
- Blogging (obviously)
- Flight (skydiving, airplanes, hang gliding)
- Computer Construction
- Architecture Design
- Video Games (Secret of Mana, Kinect, COD, MW, etc.)
So… there you have it, the cat is out of the bag as far as my hobby side goes. Like I said, this is stuff that makes me happy and takes my mind away from where it should not be…. which, in turn, keeps me out of trouble. I am thankful for having such an amazing family to not only share these with, but also for putting up with me and my many fascinations in life.
Please feel free to leave some of your hobbies in the comments below or question my craziness. Thank you for reading!